Thursday 27 August 2020

Idioms-(Part-3)

 




Idioms



Common Idioms

Definitions

My mother will always go the extra mile to help people

Doing much more than is required when doing something.

My parents are very fixed in their ways. They Won’t start using the internet.

Not wanting to change from the normal ways of doing things.

I hate my job so much I can’t bare going to work, but if I quit I don’t think I can get another job. I’m really stuck/caught between a rock and a hard place.

Having two very bad choices.

Oh well, I got 5.5 in IELTS again. Back to the drawing board!

When an attempt to do something fails and it’s time to start all over again using different methods.

Are you putting all of your savings into that company? Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Putting all of one's resources into one possibility.

Try not to worry about it. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Believing that every bad situation has a positive side / eventually leads to something good.

Come on, cut to the chase. We haven’t got all day!

Leave out all the unnecessary details and just get to the point.

It was difficult when I moved to another country but I eventually found my feet.

To become comfortable in what you are doing


0 comments: