Wednesday 26 August 2020

Idioms-(Part-2)

 





Idioms


Common Idioms

Definitions

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. That’s the reason he didn’t get the job.

Say exactly the right thing

I don’t want to argue with him again. It’s better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Avoid a conflict

Keep an eye on him. I think he may cheat in the exam.

Watch someone or something carefully

Have you heard? John down the road has kicked the bucket.

Died

I just said it in the heat of the moment. I was angry. I know I shouldn’t have.

Saying or doing something suddenly without thinking about it

Everything she does is very over the top. She can’t just have a few drinks she has to get really drunk.

Excessive

Don’t tell her what you really think of her if she’s helping you with your English! Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Hurt or upset someone who is helping you

I’m not sure which party he is going to vote for. He’s sitting on the fence.

Not making the firm decision between different choices

0 comments: